TRY BASIL SIMPLYHERBS™
TRY BASIL SIMPLYHERBS™
|Soil Temp for Germ||70–85°F|
|Days to Emergence||5–14|
|Soil Temp for Transp||60–80°F|
|Seeds per Gram||≈ 750–900|
|Seed Life||3 years|
• Basil is a fast growing annual that requires fertile, well-drained soil
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 10 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• For best flavor harvest when plants are young, avoid extreme heat or environmental stress
• Flavor declines after plants bloom
• Not recommended until nighttime temperatures are consistently above 50°F
• Germination code: (1)
• Start 3-4 weeks before anticipated transplant date
• Plant well after frost when weather has stabilized
• Fertilize every 10-14 days with Age Old Grow
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Aphids, spider mites, thrips, stink bugs, Japanese beetles
• Insect control: Keep plants covered with row cover, spray with Pyrethrin
• Common diseases: Fusarium, powdery mildew, downy mildew, bacterial leaf spot
• Disease prevention: Avoid crowding plants and wetting foliage, treat with Zonix for mildew
Harvest & Storage
• Flowers range from white to shades of pink and purple and begin to appear from late July into August
• Harvest continually and pinch off flowers to encourage leaf growth
Check the code at the end of the description for specific germination requirements.
(1) Germinates at temperatures between 60-75°F.
(2) Larger seeds need to be covered with soil at least as thick as the seed itself. May be slow and erratic to germinate.
(3) These seeds need a period of cold stratification for successful germination. Best results are obtained when the seeds are kept warm and moist for 2 weeks followed by temperatures of 33-35°F for 4-6 weeks or until germination starts.
(4) No special requirements, but germination may be slow and erratic.
What is a seed disk?
We’ve selected a collection of our favorite herb varieties and put them into handy, easy to plant, biodegradable disks. Each 10 cm disk is sized just right to conveniently plant in a 4 inch pot. For windowsill, patio and even herb garden planting, lay the disk on the surface of the moistened planting medium and cover lightly. Water and watch your herbs grow. These disks are a great gift or a perfect child's gardening project.