Brassica rapa, Pekinensis Group: The virtues of Chinese cabbage include loads of soluble fiber, antioxidants, and almost negligible caloric content. Use this mildly-flavored veggie in stir-fries, as a stand-in for conventional cabbage, or fresh in salads.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Chinese cabbage is a cool season crop that performs best in spring and fall in a wide range of soil types
• Young plants exposed to temperature fluctuations can result in bolting
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• For a spring crop, sow after the danger of frost
• Fall crops can be sown July—mid-August
• For a spring crop, start 4-5 weeks before anticipated transplant date
• Fall crops can be started from June to mid-July and set out when there are 4-5 true leaves
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Flea and cucumber beetles, slugs, earwigs
• Insect control: Pyrethrin or row covers at planting, Cabbage Collars for slugs
• Disease prevention: 5-7 year crop rotation
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest heads as soon as mature to avoid bolting
• Store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity
KEY TO CHINESE CABBAGE DISEASE RESISTANCE AND TOLERANCE
HR indicates high resistance.
IR indicates intermediate resistance.
F | Fusarium Wilt
PB | Clubroot