|Soil Temp for Germ||50–70°F|
|Days to Emergence||2–15|
|Thin Plants to||6–12"|
|Seeds per Gram||Listed per variety|
Savor the flavors that fill the kitchens of Europe. Fast and easy to grow, greens are excellent sources of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals. Enjoy them in soups, lightly steamed, or raw for a low calorie and highly nutritious part of your diet.
Days to maturity are calculated from date of direct seeding.
• Gourmet greens perform best when planted in early spring or fall
• Most will tolerate light to moderate frosts with minimal cover
• Plants are most vigorous and the flavors are better when daytime air temperatures are between 60-70°F
• Most greens are best direct sown
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 10 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• Cover seeds with Reemay or Grow Guard 20 to help deter birds and improve germination
• Sow greens every couple of weeks to ensure a continuous supply of young plants
• Use row cover to improve germination and prevent soil crusting
• Thin as soon as 2-3 true leaves have formed
• Start indoors 4-6 weeks before anticipated transplant date
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Aphids and flea beetles
• Insect control: Strong spray of water, or applications of Pyrethrin or Neem oil
• Disease prevention: 3-4 year crop rotation, and proper plant spacing allows air circulation to prevent molds
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest greens frequently and when young
• As with all greens, a rinse in cold water will help preserve the flavor and texture
What is a seed disk?
We’ve selected a collection of our favorite herb varieties and put them into handy, easy to plant, biodegradable disks. Each 10 cm disk is sized just right to conveniently plant in a 4 inch pot. For windowsill, patio and even herb garden planting, lay the disk on the surface of the moistened planting medium and cover lightly. Water and watch your herbs grow. These disks are a great gift or a perfect child's gardening project.
What is seed tape?
Seed tapes are perfectly straight rows of precisely spaced crops. No more having to thin seedlings! This biodegradable tape will plant a row 5 meters (16 feet, 5 inches) long. Simply lay it in a furrow and cover with a light layer of sifted compost or soil, water and wait. Save yourself a heap of planting time with these popular vegetable and herb staples.