The first-to-market leeks! Straight, long shanks on easy-to-clean plants. Uniform crops are upright and very fast to produce from a spring planting.
|Soil Temp for Germ||50–85°F|
|Days to Emergence||6–16|
|Soil Temp for Transp||45°F|
|Seeds per Gram||≈ 350|
|Seed Life||1 year|
Allium ampeloprasum Packed with vitamins K and A, this hearty member of the onion-family is superb in soups and stews, grilled, or sliced into slivers and added to omelets. Get creative with this versatile veggie!
Days to maturity are calculated from transplant date.
• Leeks are a frost-hardy cool season crop requiring a long growing period
• Best growth is achieved with fertile, well-drained soil with a pH of 6.0-7.0
• Plant in a trench 5 inches deep and wide, work in 1/2 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 5 row feet
• Blanch to increase the length of white stem by gradually filling in the trench as the leeks grow
• Thin to the strongest plant when 4-5 inches
• Sow up to 10-12 seeds in a 4-6 inch pot
• If tops reach over 5 inches before transplant, cut to 3 inches
• When planting out carefully separate the seedlings and place in a shallow trench
• Fill trench around seedlings and water in well
Harvest & Storage
• Harvest anytime the leeks are 1/2 inch in diameter or larger
• Store at 36°F and 95% relative humidity