Growing delicious, nutritious sprouts year-round right in your own kitchen is quick and easy. Great additions to salads, sandwiches, stir-fries, and just for snacking.
Safely Sprout Your Seeds
Following the specific guidelines below for safe sprout handling, growing, and serving ensures the highest quality sprouts for your family, free of any pathogens.
1. Sanitation is very important when sprouting seeds. Clean your sprouter or Mason jar before each use.
2. Place 1-2 tablespoons of seeds in your sprouting jar or tray. For jar sprouting add a few inches of water and replace lid. Swirl sprout seeds for approximately 30-45 seconds then drain water. For tray sprouters, carefully run the tray under running water to rinse the seeds.
3. For jar sprouters completely cover the sprout seeds with approximately 2-3 inches of warm water. Place the Mason jar lid or tray top on the sprouter and let this sit overnight on the counter top. Room temperature works fine for growing sprouts. If you are using a tray sprouter complete sprouting with instructions provided with your tray sprouter.
4. Some varieties, such as mung bean, have flavor improved by blanching. Blanching is simply a process when you cover the sprouts with a cloth or towel to prevent light from greening up the sprouts as they grow. Blanched sprouts will have white-ish appearance, free of greening caused by light. We suggest experimenting with different varieties.
5. Drain the water the very next day and remove the top. Rinse the sprout seeds thoroughly by adding new water and swirling the water and seeds for several seconds. Replace the sprouter top and drain this water and repeat the process. After rinsing for the sprout seeds for a second time do not add additional water. This seed cleaning process is critical for tasty, healthy sprouts.
6. Repeat the process above twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening, until your sprouts have reached their desired size. As a rule, sprouts seeds generally start to grow within 3 to 7 days, depending on the sprout variety.
7. Store mature sprouts in a bowl or plastic storage bag and add a paper towel in the bottom to absorb excess moisture. It is highly recommended to consume your sprouts within 5 to 7 days to realize best quality and health benefits.