• Basil is a fast growing annual that requires fertile, well-drained soil
• Apply 1 cup of TSC's Complete fertilizer per 10 row feet, and 1 inch of compost
• For best flavor harvest when plants are young, avoid extreme heat or environmental stress
• Flavor declines after plants bloom
• Not recommended until nighttime temperatures are consistently above 50°F
• Germination code: (1)
• Start 3-4 weeks before anticipated transplant date
• Plant well after frost when weather has stabilized
• Fertilize every 10-14 days with Age Old Grow
Insects & Diseases
• Common insects: Aphids, spider mites, thrips, stink bugs, Japanese beetles
• Insect control: Keep plants covered with row cover, spray with Neem oil or Pyrethrin
• Common diseases: Fusarium, powdery mildew, downy mildew, bacterial leaf spot
• Disease prevention: Avoid crowding plants and wetting foliage, treat with Greencure® for mildew
Harvest & Storage
• Flowers range from white to shades of pink and purple and begin to appear from late July into August
• Harvest continually and pinch off flowers to encourage leaf growth
Check the code at the end of the description for specific germination requirements.
(1) Germinates at temperatures between 60-75°F.
(2) Larger seeds need to be covered with soil at least as thick as the seed itself. May be slow and erratic to germinate.
(3) These seeds need a period of cold stratification for successful germination. Best results are obtained when the seeds are kept warm and moist for 2 weeks followed by temperatures of 33-35°F for 4-6 weeks or until germination starts.
(4) No special requirements, but germination may be slow and erratic.